The ABC’s of Embargoes and Sanctions
(2 Part Webinar)
Mastery of the Rules and Strategies for Compliance
Upon purchase, an email will be sent that provides a link to view the webinar recording, a copy of the presentation, and a certificate of completion. Access to view the webinar recording will be available for one year from the purchase date.
The United States maintains a complex web of embargoes and economic sanctions programs levied against various countries, entities, and individuals. These programs are constantly evolving as evidenced by the many developments of 2017 impacting Russia, Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, Cuba, and key industry sectors. Despite the complexity of these programs and the fact that they are constantly changing, U.S. companies operating in overseas markets are expected to understand the rules, manage risks, and stay fully compliant. The consequences of non-compliance can be severe, including civil and/or criminal penalties, the suspension of export privileges, increased government scrutiny, and negative publicity.
This two-part webinar, presented by Melissa Proctor of Miller Proctor Law PLLC, will cover each of the current embargo and economic sanctions programs enforced by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), and the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). Ms. Proctor will also offer concrete recommendations and best practices for compliance and for staying abreast of new regulatory and legislative developments as they arise.
Part 1 covers the current OFAC embargoes and economic sanctions programs, including:
- Comprehensive Sanctions on Cuba, Iran, North Korea, and Syria
- Targeted Industry Sector Sanctions Against Russia and Venezuela
- The Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA)
- Selective Country Sanctions Programs
- The Targeting of Individuals and Entities
- The Lifting of Sanctions on Burma (Myanmar), Cote d’Ivoire, and Sudan
- Recent OFAC Enforcement Cases
Part 2, covers:
- Country Restrictions Under the Export Administration Regulations
- Who Is in the Driver’s Seat? OFAC or BIS?
- Arms Embargoes Under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations
- Recent Enforcement Cases
- Best Practices for Managing Risks and Achieving Compliance
Melissa Proctor has been advising clients for over 20 years on the full range of issues involving embargoes and economic sanctions compliance, export controls, international trade, customs laws and regulations, anti-corruption/anti-bribery compliance, and other government agency requirements relating to the cross-border movement of goods, information, and services.
Two-Part Webinar Series: Unlike most ECTI webinars, this training consists of two webinars to allow the presenter to address each of the embargoes and economic sanctions programs that impact U.S. companies and their foreign affiliates.
Prerequisite: Participants should have at least basic familiarity with U.S. embargoes and sanctions enforced by OFAC, and the various country restrictions under the Export Administration Regulations and/or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
- Internet (broadband recommended)
- Speakers/headset is required to hear the presentation
- Access to your computer to install a small plug-in required by the webinar software
- Complete COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS and LINKS to required downloads
Please read the Webinar Terms and Conditions before you register.
Purchase a webinar subscription today and save up to 50% on all ECTI webinars!
February 27 & March 27, 2018
Each webinar comprised of 1 hour of commentary and 30 minute Q&A session
1 Participant: $295.00
2-5 Participants: $221.25 each
(25% discount for all participants)
6 or more Participants: $147.50 each
(50% discount for all participants)
ECoP® EAR or ITAR Renewal Credits