Registrants will receive a copy of the presentation, certificate of completion and access to the webinar recording to view multiple times over the period of one year. Upon purchase/registration, you will receive the link to the webinar and your unique login and password via email within 1 business day.
It is more important than ever to get this right…and Export Control Reform has made it more difficult than ever.
Your company likely is exporting technical data/technology and software more frequently and in more ways than ever before. The more you export, the more important it is to make sure you have the accurate classification in the Commerce Control List (CCL). If you get the wrong Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) for the items you export, you could easily have hundreds of people in your organization unknowingly, and repeatedly, making illegal exports.
Export Control Reform (ECR) has dramatically shifted many items from the US Munitions List (USML) to the CCL and significantly changed the CCL in many ways. Finding the correct ECCN has never been easy, but ECR has made it more complicated than ever before. While classifying hardware and materials is difficult, classifying technical data/technology and software is often more difficult. Sometimes, the classification of your technical data and technology depends on the item to which it is related, and, unfortunately, sometimes, it does not. There are times when equipment is EAR99 and the technology for that equipment could require an export license for most countries.
John Black has worked with many organizations in a wide range of technology and product areas to help classify their technical data, technology and software in his 32 years as an export compliance expert. In this webinar, he will use his experience and expertise to show you the critical elements of determining the proper ECCN. He will highlight key areas of the CCL and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) that you may have never noticed, even though they may play a decisive role in determining the ECCN for your technical data/technology and software.
The webinar will address these and other issues:
- Using the new Export Control Reform Order of Review rules
- Classifying technology and technical data
- Classifying software, both source and object code
- Recognizing cases where different controls apply to source vs. object code
- Understanding the dramatic differences in controls on maintenance and repair information based on the related product
- Finding ECCNs that impose strict controls on technology for uncontrolled products
- Finding the sometimes thin line between controlled and uncontrolled technical data/technology
- Understanding “Publicly Available”
- Setting up your team to classify technical data/technology and software
- Considering compliant and streamlined approaches to classifications
- Implementing common sense internal procedures for classifications
- Choosing practical and effective tools for making classifications easier and more accurate
This study of the complex regulations that impact classifications will put you well on your path to being able to do a better job with your classifications. Knowing more about how to do classifications might not make your life easier, but it should make your exports more compliant.
This webinar will provide PowerPoint slides and notes, and include video and commentary from John Black, who has been working in the export controls industry for over 30 years. Webinar participants are invited to submit questions during the webinar; the final 30 minutes of the webinar will be allotted to answering attendees’ questions.
Purchase a webinar subscription today and save up to 50% on all ECTI webinars!
- Internet (broadband recommended)
- Speakers/headset is required to hear the presentation (telephone call-in option not available)
- Access to your computer to install a small plug-in required by the webinar software
- SEE FULL COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS AND ACCESS REQUIRED DOWNLOADS
Please read the Webinar Terms and Conditions before you register.