Registrants will receive a copy of the presentation, certificate of completion and access to the webinar recording to view multiple times over the period of one year. Upon purchase/registration, you will receive the link to the webinar and your unique login and password via email within 1 business day.
If you get this wrong, you’ll have to be lucky to get your exports right…and Export Control Reform has made classifying items even more difficult than ever before.
One of the most difficult and important export compliance tasks is determining the classification in the Commerce Control List (CCL) for the items you export. If you get the wrong Export Control Classification Number (ECCN), there is a good chance that you may make other compliance mistakes, including making incorrect decisions about when you need an export license.
Finding the correct ECCN is easier said than done. Export Control Reform (ECR) did not simplify classification rules. In fact, ECR made the rules more complex and made the CCL much longer than before. The CCL uses detailed and complex criteria to define the classifications of many items, and there are no reliable short cuts that take the place of working through the actual rules to determine your classifications. For example, certain ECCNs classify semi-finished items one way, while other ECCNs classify them another way. And the new, complex definition of “specially designed” has a dramatic impact on most classifications.
John Black has classified well over 100,000 items in his 32 years as an export compliance expert. In this webinar, he will use his experience, expertise, and plain language explanations to show you the critical elements of finding the accurate ECCN for your product. He will highlight key areas of the CCL and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) that you may have never noticed, even though they may play a decisive role in determining the ECCN for your items. He will use his vast experience to give you practical ideas for setting up your organization’s internal procedures for performing classifications.
The webinar will address these and other issues:
- Classifying equipment, parts, components and assemblies
- Classifying raw materials, chemicals and semi-finished items
- The new CCL Order of Review Rules
- The dramatic impact of “specially designed” on classifications
- New Export Control Reform classification rules
- Key characteristics of each of the CCL Categories 0 – 9
- 0Y521 Classifications for Items the government would like to control
- Often-overlooked aspects of the CCL that determine many classifications
- Using the EAR Interpretations, definitions, notes and related controls
- Avoiding common classification mistakes
- Obtaining classification information from your suppliers and vendors
- What person or team in your organization should do classifications
- Common sense company procedures for classifications
This study of the complex regulations that impact classifications will put you well on your path to being able to do a better job with your classifications. Knowing more about how to do classifications might not make your life easier, but it should make your exports more compliant.
This webinar will provide a copy of the presentation, notes, and include commentary from John Black, who has been working in the export controls industry for over 32 years. Webinar participants are invited to submit questions during the webinar; the final 30 minutes of the webinar will be allotted to answering attendees’ questions.
Purchase a webinar subscription today and save up to 50% on all ECTI webinars!
- Internet (broadband recommended)
- Speakers/headset is required to hear the presentation (telephone call-in option not available)
- Access to your computer to install a small plug-in required by the webinar software
- SEE FULL COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS AND ACCESS REQUIRED DOWNLOADS
Please read the Webinar Terms and Conditions before you register.