How well do you understand the Fundamental Research Exclusion? While this critical carve-out in the U.S. export control regulations has a significant impact on universities, it's often misunderstood. This results in unforeseen gaps in export controls compliance programs that can lead to inadvertent export violations.
Registrants will receive a copy of the presentation, certificate of completion and access to the webinar recording to view multiple times over the period of one year. Upon purchase/registration, you will receive the link to the webinar and your unique login and password via email within 1 business day.
In this webinar, we’ll break down all the aspects of the fundamental research exclusion. We’ll discuss its formal definition and the framework around it within the Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the Department of State’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). We’ll also walk through “how-to” tips for educating faculty and handling contract clauses to ensure that the fundamental research exclusion is preserved whenever possible. Hypothetical case studies will bring these concepts into focus so attendees will leave with a comprehensive thought process for how to effectively handle the FRE at their institution.
Topics We’ll Cover:
- Basics Behind the EAR and ITAR
- Exclusions vs. Exceptions vs. Exemptions
- EAR and ITAR Regulatory Sections that Matter
- Related Government Rulings
- How to Educate Faculty on the FRE
- Impact on Contracts
- Impact on Stakeholders
- Hypothetical Case Studies
Who Should Attend:
- Anyone with direct or indirect responsibility in driving export compliance in their role
- Participants should have an intermediate level of understanding of the U.S. export control regulations
- Export compliance leaders, export control leaders, research compliance administrators, and sponsored program administrators at universities or non-profit research institutions
This webinar will provide PowerPoint slides and include live video and commentary from Jennifer Saak who has 20 years of experience in export controls compliance and scientific research at Fortune 500 companies. Webinar participants are invited to submit questions during the webinar; the final 30 minutes of the webinar will be allotted to answering attendees’ questions.
Purchase a webinar subscription today and save up to 50% on all ECTI webinars!
- Internet (broadband recommended)
- Speakers/headset is required to hear the presentation (telephone call-in option not available)
- Access to your computer to install a small plug-in required by the webinar software
- SEE FULL COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS AND ACCESS REQUIRED DOWNLOADS
Please read the Webinar Terms and Conditions before you register.