Fundamental Research Exclusion: Your Guide to Properly Applying It
How well do you understand the Fundamental Research Exclusion? While this critical carve-out in the U.S. export control regulations has a significant impact on universities, it’s often misunderstood. This results in unforeseen gaps in export controls compliance programs that can lead to inadvertent export violations.
Upon purchase, an email will be sent that provides a link to view the webinar recording, a copy of the presentation, and a certificate of completion. Access to view the webinar recording will be available for one year from the purchase date.
In this webinar, we’ll break down all the aspects of the fundamental research exclusion. We’ll discuss its formal definition and the framework around it within the Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the Department of State’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). We’ll also walk through “how-to” tips for educating faculty and handling contract clauses to ensure that the fundamental research exclusion is preserved whenever possible. Hypothetical case studies will bring these concepts into focus so attendees will leave with a comprehensive thought process for how to effectively handle the FRE at their institution.
Topics We’ll Cover:
- Basics Behind the EAR and ITAR
- Exclusions vs. Exceptions vs. Exemptions
- EAR and ITAR Regulatory Sections that Matter
- Related Government Rulings
- How to Educate Faculty on the FRE
- Impact on Contracts
- Impact on Stakeholders
- Hypothetical Case Studies
Who Should Attend:
- Anyone with direct or indirect responsibility in driving export compliance in their role
- Participants should have an intermediate level of understanding of the U.S. export control regulations
- Export compliance leaders, export control leaders, research compliance administrators, and sponsored program administrators at universities or non-profit research institutions
This webinar will provide PowerPoint slides and include live video and commentary from Jennifer Saak who has 20 years of experience in export controls compliance and scientific research at Fortune 500 companies.
“I enjoyed the presentation and found it helpful, particularly the sections devoted to specific issues for universities.”
Lane G. Campbell, Northwestern University
- Internet (broadband recommended)
- Speakers/headset is required to hear the presentation
- Access to your computer to install a small plug-in required by the webinar software
- Complete COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS and LINKS to required downloads
Please read the Webinar Terms and Conditions before you register.
November 9, 2017
1 hour 30 minutes
Comprised of 1 hour of commentary and 30 minute Q&A session
1 Participant: $150.00
2-5 Participants: $112.50 each
(25% discount for all participants)
6 or more Participants: $75.00 each
(50% discount for all participants)
ECoP® EAR or ITAR Renewal Credits
Event #: 12394
Purchase a webinar subscription today and save up to 50% on all ECTI webinars!