800 Lanidex Plaza
Parsippany, NJ 07054
750 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Waqas Shahid is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura Consulting Group, based in the Parsippany, NJ and New York, NY. He has over 13 years of multi-disciplinary compliance and technology experience, including counseling companies on international trade compliance matters, conducting internal investigations, handling data privacy and security matters, and designing and deploying process automation solutions. As a Senior Attorney at a leading Aerospace and Defense company, Mr. Shahid led numerous trade compliance investigations, conducted enterprise-wide technology systems compliance reviews, and designed and implemented scalable trade compliance solutions. As an attorney at a leading global law firm, Mr. Shahid counseled numerous clients on trade compliance, data security and privacy, environmental, and other pressing legal matters. Mr. Shahid also has extensive experience in developing and deploying scalable process automation software solutions.
Mr. Shahid’s professional experience includes:
- Trade Compliance Investigations & Reviews – Senior Attorney at a leading Defense company, investigated numerous international trade compliance matters, resulting in disclosures to various U.S. government agencies. Also designed and conducted risk-based compliance reviews of enterprise technology systems used to store and share controlled technical data, resulting in compliance enhancements designed to reduce compliance risk.
- Trade Compliance Program Design – Counseled clients (as outside and internal counsel) on trade compliance program development, including development and deployment of compliance policies, procedures, training, and systems. Personally developed numerous procedures designed to ensure regulatory compliance and reduce risk of compliance escapes.
- Data Security and Privacy Counseling, Incident Response – Counseled clients (as outside and internal counsel) on various data security and privacy matters, including development of Insider Threat awareness program, compliance with Department of Defense cyber security incident reporting requirements, and multi-jurisdictional responses to data security breaches.
- Consumer Protection Counseling, Litigation – Counseled technology clients on compliance with, and handled litigation regarding, various consumer protection laws and regulations, including the Federal Trade Commission Act and the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing (CAN-SPAM) Act.
- Environmental Compliance – Counseled clients on compliance with federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations. Developed regulatory compliance manuals for nation-wide use by affiliates of a major automotive company dealing with a significant automotive recall.
- Software Development, Process Automation – Developed and deployed process automation software solutions for federal government agencies and international financial institutions. Mr. Shahid received his Juris Doctor degree (cum laude) from the Georgetown University Law Center, where he served as an Executive Editor on the Journal of International Law.
Mr. Shahid received his Bachelor of Science (with High Distinction) in Computer Science and Physics from the University of Virginia. Mr. Shahid is a member of the bars of the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Virginia (inactive), and is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).