For over twenty years, Melissa Proctor, Esq. has been advising Fortune 500 companies, small and medium-sized companies and startups on the full range of issues involving export controls, embargoes and economic sanctions, customs laws and regulations, anti-corruption and anti-bribery compliance, and other government agency requirements that impact imports and exports. Previously, Melissa worked for two boutique international trade law firms in Chicago and Miami, served as Manager in KPMG’s Customs and Trade Practice in Orange County, was Corporate Counsel – Compliance for Amazon, and led the international trade practice of Polsinelli PC in Phoenix. She regularly speaks before various trade associations and industry groups on a variety of import and export topics, as well as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, California Proposition 65, conflict minerals reporting, the Federal Trade Commission and California’s “Made in the USA” standards, and consumer product safety requirements.
Melissa’s export practice focuses on compliance with all aspects of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Foreign Assets Control Regulations, and the Foreign Trade Regulations. She also partners with clients to handle a variety of import compliance matters, including: customs valuation; tariff classification; country of origin and marking; special trade program and free trade agreement compliance; duty deferral and cost-saving opportunities; and, border security initiatives. Melissa represents clients through all stages of import and export enforcement actions, updates clients on new legislative and regulatory developments, and provides compliance training to companies, ensuring that personnel involved in international transactions can effectively navigate the complex web of international trade rules.
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 1997, International and Comparative Law
- J.D., Valparaiso University, 1996
- B.A., Indiana University, 1993, Spanish and Russian
- Arizona Bar
- Illinois Bar
- Court of International Trade
- State Bar of Arizona – International Law Section, Executive Board Member
- American Association of Exporters and Importers (AAEI)
- Society of International Affairs (SIA)
- International Compliance Professionals Association (ICPA)
- Organization of Women in International Trade (OWIT)
- Global Chamber
- Metro Phoenix Export Alliance