Managing Director – Miami Office – KPMG
George is a Managing Director with KPMG LLP’s U.S. Trade and Customs Practice based in the firm’s Miami office and KPMG’s Trade and Customs Southeast Regional Leader. George has over 12 years of experience managing trade compliance and identifying efficiencies through implementation of effective controls.
Professional and Industry Experience
George is responsible for assisting a broad range of U.S. multi-national and foreign-owned clients in industries including electronics and communications, mining, defense, automotive and retail and has experience with a wide variety of complex trade matters. George has extensive knowledge in U.S. export regulations, particularly in the areas of EAR and ITAR process development and compliance assessments, OFAC compliance and AES reporting. George has also managed large customs and export related projects and has assisted companies to identify various customs savings opportunities. For example:
- Advised U.S. and non-U.S. companies on the development and enhancement of export compliance procedures related to defense articles and dual-use products and conducted U.S. export control training
- Assisted companies to conduct global trade assessments with the objective of identifying customs duty savings opportunities and compliance gaps and benchmark against leading industry practices
- Conducted export compliance assessments as part of acquisition due-diligence reviews
- Successfully assisted companies on the classification of complex products under the CCL and USML and assisted companies to obtain commodity jurisdictions and CCATS
- Advised companies on export licensing and license exceptions and exemptions
- Advised clients on the establishment of a compliant and effective duty drawback programs specifically related to routed export transactions
- Assisted companies to conduct global export governance assessments with the objective of identifying gaps and benchmark against leading industry practices
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Co-author of Enhancing Compliance through Customs and Tax Coordination, an article in The Tax Executive, The Professional Journal of Tax Executives Institute, Inc.
- Co-author of Effectively Managing Global Trade: A Rising Priority, a white paper on the challenges facing global trade professionals
- Presenter at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville’s Supply Chain Strategy & Management Forum