Home / Tools / Export Compliance: Ask The Experts

Export Compliance: Ask The Experts



Have a question?
Submit it now


Is it necessary to issue a power of attorney to freight forwarding agents?

If you want them to act on your behalf, for example, filing EEI, you probably should give them a power of attorney.

Is there any regulation(s) that prohibits my employer company from designating all parts being manufactured as "ITAR Controlled" vs. making an in-house determination of each and every job as to whether or not the ITAR applies?

That would be like sending in 90% of your income each year to the IRS instead of figuring out how much income tax you owe.  It is not illegal, but it may be a waste of money/resources. 

More military items are not ITAR controlled than are ITAR controlled.  If you do not analyze something closely enough to determine whether it is ITAR controlled, you run the risk that you will not accurately understand the actual ITAR issues for that item/activity. Some ITAR items/activities are subject to more restrictions than others.  That said; if you over control everything as ITAR, there is not a big chance you will violate export regulations. I do not recommend that approach.

If you are selling aircraft parts classified under 9A991.d for commercial aircraft such as a private jet or a commercial helicopter operated by a foreign government such as SAR, Police or Coast Guard, Air Force, Fire Department in a country that is not under embargo or restricted military end use such as China, Russia, Venezuela, do you need a specific export license or you sell as if you are selling to a standard commercial airliner?

Typically that would not require a license but, of course, you have to look at all aspects of the transaction and the regulations.  For example, if the recipient is on a US prohibited party list or destined for a prohibited WMD application you would not be authorized to make the export.

How does a General Correspondence letter get submitted to State? Is it done electronically, if so through what portal, or is a paper submission required & where can one find the address if so?

You maybe submit a GC request on paper via postal service, express carrier or courier.  The address is at: http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/about/contact_information.html.

We have imported one of our components that is ITAR under 123.4(a)(1) exemption. It has been determined that the parts are not repairable and our customer has asked us to scrap in house.  Can we scrap in house since we imported under the exemption?  If so, what would be the process for informing CBP that we are not returning the parts to our customer?  We also are not replacing the parts.

The ITAR does not say what you should do when a temporary import under the exemption turns into a permanent import. Arguably, you do not have to do anything according to the ITAR.  If you wish, you may contact Customs at the port of import and ask if they would like you to do anything.

I was told that if our company has a MAA in place with a company in the UK to manufacture defense articles, to bring them into the US on a permanent basis (import), we would need to apply for a permit with the ATF.  I have perused the ITAR and could not find anything about this. Would you please clarify?

The ITAR has nothing to do with BATF requirements.  If the items are on the BATF US Munitions Import List they generally require a BATF import authorization.

The final rule for Cat XII has finalized, but to definitely be sure that our products will no longer be governed under the ITAR, we submitted a CJ to State.  According to the Order of Review process, our product should be governed by ECCN 0A606.x.  We have a tradeshow we plan to attend in the UK in 2 weeks and a demo in Belgium the following week.  Can we proceed with export under ECCN 0A606.x or should we use DSP licenses?

Obtaining an official ruling is not required.  If you make an accurate determination as to an item's USML or CCL classification, you may proceed based on that.  There is no way for me to know the classification of the item based on the information your provided.  If you feel comfortable with your jurisdiction classification, you should feel comfortable proceeding on that basis.